Situation of Children in South Africa

Situation of Children in South Africa

Snapshot of Children in South Africa


  • In our country there live 7 million girls and 7 million boys aged under 14 years, which means children of this age make up 29.2% of the total population.

            Education:

  • The literacy-rate in South Africa amounts 86.4%, which means that 13.6% of our people can’t read or write properly, which excludes them from a lot of  different opportunities and activities.

  • The average South African young person goes to school for 13 years, which means he/she doesn’t receive further education after high school.

  • 96% of children of the age between 0 and 17 attend an education facility. What are the other 4% of them doing? It should be 100%.

            Poverty:

  • 3 in every 5 of children younger than 17 are living in poor households with a total income less than R1,200, mostly in rural areas.Every fifth child in SA suffers from hunger and under-nutrition.

           Health:

  • 4 out of 10 children have to travel more than 30 minutes to the nearest available clinic, which can jeopardize their life in a cruel situation.
  • 1 in 20 Infants dies before their first birthday.
  • Half of our children younger than 17 don’t have access to clean, reliable water supply in their house or yard.
  • 5 million South Africans are infected with HIV, every single day 1,000 of them die.

          Crime:

  • 1 in every 3 children younger than 17 lives in informal housing.
  • South Africa was ranked the country with the second highest crime rate in the world by the United Nations.
  • Every day 3 children get killed, mostly by perpetrators out of their close social environment.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s